Saturday, February 05, 2011

Fisheating Creek Revisited

Click on an image to see a larger version, then click your Back button to return to this story.  Enjoy!

Fisheating Creek is one of those mysteriously magnetic places for me in Floirda.  I have paddled there since my childhood.  It is the only remaining creek that flows freely into Lake Okeechobee without crossing a weir or dam.  The creek banks are largely undeveloped so wild things can grow and live unfettered by human interference.  And the water levels in the creek are often too low for easy passage of even a canoe. I wrote another story about a Fisheating Creek adventure back in 2006 which you can read here if you'd like.

I had the good fortune of paddling a  section of the creek in November 2010 with my friend John Moran, and then again last month.  My wife Crystal had never been on Fisheating Creek, and after hearing my stories, really wanted to see it.... so we did.  The water level was at 1.52 ft at the gauge - just barely enough (1.5 is cutoff) to paddle from Burnt Bridge to the campground/outpost at Hwy 27. We still had to get out and drag our boats at least 20 times.  It's a spectacularly beautful place.  Go see it some time.  Meanwhile, here are a few recent photos from Fisheating Creek.




 



And here's the walking catfish whose story is told here.






No comments: